Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Always know where I am!

As it should now be known by now, I love GPS data and the opportunities it gives me! 
As an extra gadget on my upcoming thru-hike along the CDT, I will cary a SPOT GPS Messenger.



This little device has two basic functions:

1. SOS emergency transmitter
2. Show my location -> on this new site




During my hike I will send a "OK" message every night which will be shown in the map on the new site "Where is BP?" I'll be easy to recognize by a yellow "BP" icon and if you select me on the side bar you get the entire history of my hike. You can even select various weather information!

Normally a SPOT stores only the last 7 days but with the help of www.treakleaders.com thru-hikers get the possibility to present their month-long hikes. Thank you!!!
The guys who created this site are currently out there somewhere enjoying mother nature on their bikes, so the new season won't be updated until mid-April.

As an example I'll show you Wired's CDT thru-hike from 2013...


However, the main task of my SPOT its the SOS function!
The CDT is more lonely and isolated than the PCT, so it doesn't hurt to be able to call for help if you need it.
I made a service contract with the global GEOS rescue service. In a case of emergency they will alert the nearest rescue team. So I can relax and wait for my helicopter :)
Should I come in a situation where I can help another person I will not hesitate to use my personal SPOT. In this case I will push the OK-button at the same time to clear the situation.
I hope I will never need this service!

Happy Trails :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment