Thursday, May 29, 2014

My first steps in Gila Canyon

Silver City (146mi) - Doc Campbell's (195mi/312km)

Since I left Silver City, quite a lot happened:


Gila National Forest is definitely one of the CDT´s highlights. The trail out of Silver City has been a bit painstaking. The post office opens not until 10 a.m. on Saturdays - so I had to start hiking in midday heat. The whole days had been pretty unspectacular, but suddenly all my hiking buddies came by (and I had been convinced they would be far in front of me...). So next morning we all have been together again.

Our first glimpse of the Gila River...


After a strenuous hike down the Canyon our drink water problems were vanished for the next 5 days - there was crystal clear, ice cold water in the river... 

From now on there had been no dry feet anymore. Using simple trail-running shoes proved to be the right option. My shoes kept being dry again every morning.

For the next days we had to cross Gily River more than a 100 times - on the next picture you can see Pounce and Smiles crossing...


It´s uncredible that this wilderness is in New Mexico, isn't it ? Three days before we had been in pure desert.


One short stopover is "Doc Campbell'S" - a small roadhouse surrounded by a few rustic campsites. I recieved one of my supply packages, had a couple scoops of homemade icecream - and hiked on.



Together with Analog and Rattlebee we went about the "Middle Fork" of the Gila Canyon.

Happy Trails :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment