Thursday, May 29, 2014

Cold wave & Gila Canyon

Doc Campbell's (195mi) - Pie Town (325mi/520km)

I think I told it before, Gila River had been hit by a huge flash flood last year.

The first 8 miles of the Middle Fork are not passable until today, so we had to hike a detour throught Little Bear-Canyon. So I dropped the chance of visiting "Gila Cliff Dwellings". The cliff contains the ruins of interlinked cave dwellings built in five cliff alcoves by the Mogollon peoples in the 13th century. Well, a typical example for the trail having absolute priority...

As soon as we reached the river, we were overwhelmed by the dimension of the canyon. At the same moment we realized, that the next miles won't be easy.





Stress relief has been possible at "Jordan Hot Springs", a small hot spring.


So, who finds Analog and Rattlebee in the next picture ?




The trail hat been brutal, but much better than endless miles on the highway.

As suddenly as Gila River appeared in the landscape, as fast is disappeared. Open range as far as you can see! And the weather became cold, the nights have been below freezing since.

Did I tell you about the wind ? Generally saying, it's there all the time. ALL the time. First I liked the cool breeze, but now it became more than a pain. 24 hrs a day, right into the face...



After the first weeks with water caches and then Gila River, water became more of a concern now.

I really have to rely on my Sawer Waterfilter - it seems, it's working pretty well. You probably don't want to have a look at my water resources of the last days...



Being cold and tired I reached the small city "Pit Town", a accumulation of a few houses, two restaurants and a post office.

Nita's house is open to used by all travellers, from hikers to bikers. The landlady Nita drops by from time to time, chatting with visitors.
 

Nice, but too crowded for my opinion, so I hiked on - on my way to Grants.

Happy Trails :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment