Tuesday, October 29, 2013

That was my PCT... GPS data!


After I've already presented my stats, here comes the data on which everything is based on.

During my hike along the PCT my GPS device was permanently on. Even through some nights when I had once again forgotten to turn it off ;-)
I've archived every single day! So I will be able to look back on every single step I've made whenever I want!
Now I know...

  • Where and how long where my breaks?
  • Where was I lost?
  • Where did I cut off some switshbacks?


Another very important fact is that with this data I can determin the exact location of ever taken picture... known as geotagging.
The only thing to check first is that the GPS and the camera are on the same time... especially when you are from Europe! 

The examples are from my section over Forester Pass, certainly one of the best days!
When you study the individual altitude profiles back at home, you realize pretty quickly that you will never have such a level of fitness in everyday life.
One more reason to always look for the next adventure!

If I have learned something in these five months... everyone helps everyone!
Whatever is written in european news about the USA, the level of helpfulness in America is outstanding!
Without the community of fellow hikers, trail angels and all other acquaintances the trip would have never been such a great experience!

This is exactly why I put all my data available to everyone who is interested.

As an example you can take a closer look at my daily stages:



Here are my downloads:

Again I want to draw attention to the fact that this is my individual trail along the PCT. It's like my personal log book that forms together with all my pictures a perfect visual diary.

Future PCT hikers may please study Halfmile's data because there you will find all the vital information regarding water sources, road crossings or alternative routes!!!

Enjoy your visit!
Happy Trails :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment